ABOUT INTEGRA EDUCATION & TRAINING
MAUDE KEMP CEO & FOUNDER – INTEGRA – EDUCATION IN SOUTH AFRICA & AFRICA
- Our mission is for each learner to cope successfully in a diverse world with lots of demands.
- We strive towards a safe environment where learners can achieve success in reading and mathematics.
- We also strive to give each learner the maximum opportunity to develop in totality by enhancing their self-concept and by gaining confidence to venture to fulfill their dreams.
- We strive for each learner to reach a high standard of reading with understanding.
- We want to uplift each learner by focusing on their unique gifts and strengths.
- We strive for each learner to have a positive outlook towards learning and life and to counter any negativity towards learning with coping strategies.
WHO IS MAUDE KEMP ?
Maude Kemp (Dipl. TOD BA MBD) is the National Director of Integra Education & Training (PTY) Ltd. Maude has 30 years’ experience in
She was a finalist in the 2003 National Teachers Awards and was also nominated for business Woman of the year in the category Education
Maude lectures nationally on the brain and learning processes in academic and corporate environments. She is a partner with the “Switch on
Your Brain Organization” PTY (Ltd) in South Africa. She has already trained 150 educators in Kwa-Zulu Natal in the 5 step learning process with
Maude has 12 Integra Education and Training Agencies in South Africa. Her passion is to help learners see themselves as uniquely gifted
She has recently developed YREAD, a reading program to be implemented nationally and internationally in schools to help learners and train
educators in reading with understanding.
- Maude is knowledgeable in remedial education, reading skills and reading techniques.
- She trains educators in assessment and reading techniques.
- She has developed reading programmes to help learners attain a much higher level of reading with understanding.
- She has developed mathematical programmes from grade 1 to grade 7 with the basics in mind.
- Teacher for 25 years in remedial teaching in the primary school (grade 1 to grade 7)
- Head of department for 5 years.
- Owner of a franchise business from 2005.
- Has been contracted by the Gauteng Department of Education to train teachers in reading skills, techniques and assessment.
- Has developed new reading material for schools to use very effectively with excellent results.
- Has developed mathematical programmes for primary school to benefit the teachers and the learners.
- Her passion is to empower teachers to help learners tap into their potential and to help and assist them with their academic inputs.
I always had one big passion – and that was teaching. Children constantly meant a lot to me and since I was young and I wanted to make
a difference in the lives of children. Hope is one thing that is so necessary in today’s society of violence and negativity. Half of the battle is
won if a child can believe in himself again. David Ambrose so rightly stated: “If you have the will to win, you have achieved half your
success; if you don’t, you have achieved half your failure. With God, everything is possible.
I had this vision of starting Integra Learning Centre Agencies and equipping teachers with the knowledge, skills and materials to help
them make a successful business in the teaching profession, but with their own learning Centres Agencies.
David never thought that he would be the king over the Israelites when he was tending the sheep; he was just doing what God sat
before him – John Fisher. Well, I just did my passion and God did the rest! There are a couple of very successful Integra Learning Centres
today still within the Education Mountain.
I still have my own Integra Learning Centre and I enjoy every single moment of it.
All I can say is that making a difference in the lives of people and uplifting them is my thing!
WHO IS INTEGRA EDUCATION AND TRAINING ?
- A unique business opportunity for teachers with a passion for teaching.
- Start your own Agency with a substantial income every month.
- No extra-mural activities, no preparation, working hours in the afternoons only – 5 days per week. Get paid for every assessment.
- No paper war – get back to your passion – teaching! Only small groups from between 4 – 6 learners from the comfort of your own home.
- YREAD is a Reading and Mathematical Programme for the Primary School to enhance reading with understanding, as well as putting down a mathematical foundation for calculations and concepts and to get learners to love these subjects and to excel at it.
- Schools can rent the reading and mathematical program (From Grade 1 to Grade 7) for Reading in English, Afrikaans and Mathematics in Afrikaans and English at a minimal cost for their learners.
- Annual upgrades will be provided. Teachers will be trained in the multi-sensory, metacognitve integrated method.
- Training will also be given in norm- and diagnostic assessment.
- Each teacher in the school can now be empowered with the knowledge of the reading level of each learner in their class.
- The Switch on Your Brain®-5 step™ Learning Process is comprised of five extremely important steps.
- Each step is designed to take advantage of a particular brain process – all collectively moving toward the goal of learning.
- Each of the five steps plays a vital role in the building of memory which is all the learning process ultimately is.
- Research shows that true mastery of new information and skills is based on strengthening the connections between the nerve cells in the brain as well as ensuring that the branches (or dendrites) that actually store the information are firmly attached.
- The “easy-come, easy-go” neuronal connections that come from traditional study methods, rote learning and cramming for exams are quickly reversed, which put simply, means they are forgotten.
- Push up the marks potentially in all subjects between 35% and 75% -scientifically proven.
- Parents can attend the training with their children as to be informed about their child’s gifts and way of learning and to learn their child and themselves better. Also suitable for Corporates (one or two day training).
- The main goal for the YREAD Reading Strategy is to improve the reading competence of learners because READING is part of nation building.
- Surveys done showed shockingly low levels of reading ability across this nation. Large numbers of our children simply do not read.
Therefore a proposal for literacy and numeracy development should cover one or more of the following aspects with the vision of reawakening
reading culture and the mission of transforming the youth:
1.Early intervention and support for literacy and numeracy development.
Integra YREAD has developed a literacy and numeracy program for Primary Schools that is based on early intervention and support for
the learners. The aim is to improve the reading level of all learners in the country, including those who experience barriers to learning,
because reading promotes confidence as an individual in a modern society, and as a member of a national and world community. It is
additional to the curriculum and supports areas of deficit where the foundation is being made strong so that the academic wall can be
built with confidence.
2.Developing and enhancing educator competency in teaching literacy and numeracy.
Quality education starts with quality teachers. Teachers are key to the successful teaching of reading. Teacher training, development and
support are therefore a key pillar. One of the most important aspects of Integra YREAD is to develop and train educators in assessment
and implementation of the program for success. Teachers will receive comprehensive training. Improving teaching quality is the most
effective measure we can take to bolster education in this country.
3.Developing and providing relevant material and physical resources.
Instructional materials must be accessible to all students, as well as appropriate for increasing their academic achievement. YREAD offer
extensive enrichment activities related to reading that is often not included in schools, because of the time constraints.
Each learner will receive a workbook for reading with comprehension and a workbook for mathematics that will cover the work of the
whole year. The standard is high and comparable with leading world nations. It spans the whole curriculum.
4.Mobilizing community support and establishing partnerships towards improved literacy and numeracy performance.
The YREAD Literacy and Numeracy program includes:
·Building teacher and school leadership capacity through support from literacy and numeracy training.
·Advice for parents on how they can support their child’s literacy and numeracy development.
·Improving the monitoring and assessment of literacy and numeracy performance.
·Promote early engagement with reading and mathematics.
·Provide a strong foundation for future educational achievement.
Each educator will be trained in assessment and will be able to monitor the progress of each learner throughout the year. The educators
will take hands with the parents to help sharing responsibility for the education and upliftment of their children’s reading skills and
numeracy in the form of a home program where the parents are required to give support.
5.Research, monitoring and evaluation to inform practice.
The monitoring and evaluation system for students consists of norm- and diagnostic tests conducted at the beginning and end of the
year. It will provide teachers with a tool for assessing the reading- and mathematics competence of the learners in order to determine
their level of functioning and their progress. The essential focus of the evaluation is to enable learners to read fluently and with
comprehension and to understand the mathematical concepts and calculations.
6.Institutional governance and management support.
Educators will be selected and put through a training program. Many teachers in schools have an under-developed understanding of
teaching literacy, reading and mathematics. Many teachers simply don’t know how to teach reading. Too often, teachers know only one
method of teaching reading, which may not suit the learning style of all learners. Teachers don’t know how to stimulate reading inside,
and outside, the classroom. There has been a misunderstanding about the role of the teacher in teaching reading. For years, many
teachers believed that they did not have to “teach” reading, but simply had to “facilitate” the process; they believed that learners would
teach themselves to read.
The teachers, who have been trained in the metacognotive, multisensory, integrated reading programme, will in turn, be able to train
other teachers. The level of literacy and numeracy can be significantly enhanced through this endeavour throughout the Primary
Reading enables us to act creatively and critically in a world which is ever-changing and competitive. Reading provides rapid, ready
access to new information and knowledge that will help us in life-long learning.
Leading world nations pride themselves in promoting reading in all aspects of life – but illiterate people are excluded from much
communication in today’s world. Nigeria, as well as other African countries, faces many challenges in promoting literacy. It is rare to find
schools with well-used general libraries. Many homes have no books. Some classrooms have no books, and even those classes which do
have sets of readers, often have them at the wrong level. Poor matriculation results are in part due to the low levels of students’ reading
skills. University students – even those enrolled for the languages and the arts – are not proficient in reading.
·President Goodluck Jonathan said: “I want Nigerians reading again because when they read they know and it is not possible to mislead a
people who know.”
·A newspaper article in Nigeria stated that in spite of the efforts of various governments of Nigeria to promote the reading habit,
Nigerians have been slow in embracing reading as a lifelong educational process.
·”CHILDREN must be encouraged to develop a reading culture at a tender age in order to give them a chance to open their minds and
make them creative and innovative,” Harare mayor Muchadeyi Masunda said.
·”The important message that I have for the children is that we need to promote the reading culture because knowledge is power,” he
said. “Once you have knowledge, nobody can take that away from you. What we are seeing here is the manifestation of the abiding
passion that we have as Zimbabweans on matters pertaining to education.”
It is of the utmost importance to get the youth to read and to understand what they read for a positive impact on the next generation in
Africa. A ray of Light should pierce Dark Africa, for ALL THE EYES OF THE WORLD IS STARTING TO TURN TOWARDS AFRICA for the future.
Africa is going to play a leading role in the world in the future.
PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE